Ap classes celebrate Dr. Seuss

Ap classes celebrate Dr. Seuss

“I do not like them, Sam-I-Am. I do not like green eggs and ham.” These are not words that you would typically expect to hear coming from a high school classroom.

On Friday, May 13, both blocks of Mrs. Danielle Walton’s AP English III class enjoyed a Dr. Seuss Day. The students selected their favorite childhood Seuss book to share with the class. The classes had been planning the festivities all year, but they had to wait due to preparation for the AP exam.

“AP [English] is always about business. One day of fun is necessary,” Walton said.

The celebration took place the week after AP testing, providing students with the chance to relax after a year full of in-class essays and literature analysis. In addition to bringing in stories, the students brought in a smorgasbord of treats to share. From classics like “The Cat in the Hat” to more obscure titles like “Horton Hatches the Egg,” students were buzzing with excitement at the chance to share with the class a part of their childhood.

“I enjoyed seeing the sense of nostalgia that students got reminscing on their childhood,” Walton said. “Also, I liked the stories of how many people learned to read with Dr. Seuss, especially with books like ‘Hop on Pop.’”

Students chose a wide range of books; some chose merely their favorite, while some shared more of an emotional attachment.

“I brought in my mother’s copy of ‘Yertle the Turtle,’” Anna Conrades (11) said. “It is about 30 to 40 years old and falling apart.”

Overall, students agreed that the Dr. Seuss Day was a well-earned break as well as a success.

“It was a fun day to relax after all the work we did this year,” Conrades said. “We earned it.”