Girls Volleyball advances to district finals, looks to advance further in state playoffs

The OHS girls volleyball team has had a very successful season so far and hope to carry that into the district tournament that began last night.

Last week the girls had a big start defeating Marquette. Then came from behind in the first and third sets to defeat 3rd ranked Francis Howell in an exciting match. The girls however were not able to carry the momentum into their game last Friday, where they lost in two sets to Ursuline.

Coach Morgan Lucas said she has been happy with the senior leadership on the team this year. Seniors Sarah Makowski (12) and Jen Brendel (12) have led the team statistically and this season have dominated their opponents.

“The expectations are the same every year. We have worked very hard all season in hopes to be district champs and move on to sectionals.” Lucas said.

Last night the girls defeated Mehlville in two sets (25-21, 25-18). That win propelled the girls into tonights (Oct. 23) district title game against Lindbergh, a rematch of last year’s title game. The game starts at 6pm at Seckman High School.

“This year’s squad has a lot of experience and I think that will be beneficial heading into districts. We know how it feels to lose in the district finals and do not want that to happen this year,” Lucas said.