Nailed It

Teen has talent for nails
Ollie Scholz (9) designs her nails. “Doing nails was so fun, so eventually I started doing my mom’s nails,” Scholz said. “...And as Ive gotten better, I started to do my friends and people from school.” Scholz even makes money from doing people nails.
Ollie Scholz
Ollie Scholz (9) designs her nails. “Doing nails was so fun, so eventually I started doing my mom’s nails,” Scholz said. “…And as I’ve gotten better, I started to do my friends’ and people from school.” Scholz even makes money from doing people nails.

Many high school students continue to pay $65 to $75 per nail set. Some might say that price is ridiculous. Well, OHS has a student who not only does nails but has expanded and started doing fellow peers’ nails, charging a small portion of what nail salons do. Ollie Scholz (9) started out small and is now growing in skill. 

“I started doing nails when I was in elementary school,” Scholz said. “I started out using normal nail polish, and then one year for Christmas my mom got me gel nail polish.” 

As time went on, Scholz got more and more creative, as using gel nail polish allows for easier application. 

“When I use gel, I notice that I have more control with the polish and it stays on the nails for longer,” Scholz said. 

Using gel is more efficient, easier and allows her to expand her creative skills and do nails on other people. They stay on for longer and help her keep her hobby fun and affordable.   

“Doing nails was so fun, so eventually I started doing my mom’s nails,” Scholz said. “And as I’ve gotten better, I started to do my friends’ and people from school.” 

For now, Scholz enjoys doing nails as a hobby and even as a small way to make money, but maybe in the future it will be more than that. 

“In the future, it would be great to continue to keep doing nails,” Scholz said. “For now, I just want to do it for fun with my friends and family — nothing too serious.”