Hooked and Captured

Senior finds passion outdoors
Reece+Ahrens+%2812%29+poses+with+a+deer+during+his+hunting+season.+Hunting+and+fishing+are+not+just+hobbies%2C+Ahrens+said%2C+theyre+a+way+of+life...%E2%80%9D+
Reece Ahrens
Reece Ahrens (12) poses with a deer during his hunting season. “Hunting and fishing are not just hobbies,” Ahrens said, “they’re a way of life…”

When it comes to hunting, it’s not just about the thrill of the chase for some, but also about connecting with nature and providing food for yourself and your family. This is how Reece Ahrens (12) feels about his outdoor hobby. 

“Hunting allows me to feel a deep connection to the land and the animals. It’s a way for me to be part of the natural cycle of life,” Ahrens said.  

Similarly, fishing is not only a relaxing pastime but also a way to bond with friends and family.

“Being out on the water, casting my line and waiting for that bite, it’s a way for me to escape the stresses of everyday life and just be in the moment,” Ahrens said. 

According to Ahrens, both hunting and fishing require patience, skill and respect for the environment.

“It’s not just about the kill. It’s about understanding the habits and patterns of the animals, respecting their natural habitats and practicing ethical hunting,” Ahrens said. 

For many people, hunting and fishing are also opportunities to learn from older generations and pass on traditions. 

“My grandfather taught me how to fish when I was a kid, and now I get to carry on what he left,” Ahrens said.      

Ahrens believes it’s important to note that hunting and fishing should always be done responsibly and by local laws and regulations. He said that many hunters and anglers actively participate in habitat restoration and wildlife management programs as well. So, whether you’re a hunter or a fisherman, these activities offer a chance to immerse yourself in nature, experience the thrill of the chase and create lasting memories.

“Hunting and fishing are not just hobbies, they’re a way of life,” Ahrens said. “They teach us patience, respect and appreciation for the natural world.”

For Ahrens, his outdoor hobbies are not always about instant gratification either, but rather about embracing the process and enjoying the journey. 

“It’s a way to connect with my family,” Ahrens said, “and carry on our shared love for the outdoors.”