Taking on School and a job. At the same time.

For the past two years, I have carried myself through high school maintaining my grades while taking on a job at the same time.  Although my availability is limited to a curfew of 8 p.m on weeknights, my employers are not always good at following this.  There have been times that I do not get home until 11:30 at night.  To them, they have a mindset that school is no longer important, and that it should be okay that I do not leave until the late hours of the night.

When I get to school the next day, my teachers ask me why I look so tired. I explain to them my current situation.  They simply think it is no big deal and remind me that school comes first.  Now, do not get me wrong but school as always comes first for me. But where is the understanding from teachers come into play?  I understand that my homework and projects should always be done on time, and for most they always are. I use my ANP time very wisely completing everything I need to get done.  But I have to juggle homework time with A+ Tutoring because I am unable to do it after school.  It was hard at first, but I have become accustomed to the task.

There are multiple kids who carry jobs outside of school.  Some have the opportunity to participate in the C.O.E program here offered at OHS.  This class allows them to get a grade for working at their job.   What about the kids who do not have this opportunity?  Again it can be hard to carry both at the same time. Unfortunately for teachers, school will always be more important to them.

Here are some tips to carry both school and a job at the same time:

• Do not let your work control you.  When you need to leave at a certain time, tell your manager that you have to be home by a certain time.  If they still do not let you, have your parent call.

• Make sure you use your ANP time wisely.  Do not slack off, and get all your homework done before anything else.  If you participate in the A+ program come up with a schedule to balance your time.

• At certain jobs, you are allowed to bring homework with you.  Take advantage of this opportunity.

• If necessary, take a leave of absence from your work so you can get your school grades back in line.  You can always go back to work and pick up where you left off.

So now that there are tips available taking on a job outside of school, hopefully it can become a lot easier to maintain.