Softball pushes past Parkway South

Softball pushes past Parkway South

The only loss handed to OHS during the regular season was to Parkway South. On Oct. 16 at Parkway South, the two would meet again in the state quarterfinals. This time, the Tigers got redemption.

With homeruns from Chloe Wolf (12), Julie Kernen (12) and a complete game from pitcher Remy Edwards (12), the Tigers won the game 10-6.

“We approached this quarterfinal game the same way we have in the past,” head Coach Rich Sturm said. “We were focused on preparation and making sure we gave our best effort. Once you get to this point in the season, it is exciting no matter who your opponent might be.”

The win advanced OHS to the final four in state for the third time in four years, where they will play Webb City this Friday in Springfield, MO. Seniors will get their third shot at the state championship.

Against Parkway South, the Tigers jumped ahead early in the first inning with an RBI (run batted in) single from Emily Lansford (12).  In the fourth inning with a score of 1-1, the Tigers would tack on two more runs with a single from Adrianna Wegmann (9), and a double from  Kernen. A three run homerun from Chloe Wolf (12) would make the score 6-1 going into the bottom of the fourth.

“It was pretty bittersweet because of the recent passing of Chloe’s dad,” pitcher Remy Edwards (12) said. “It was really good for her and the team. A few of us even started crying.”

In the fifth inning, the Tigers still held a five run lead over the Patriots. Looking for a little insurance, Kernen stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded. On the third pitch of the at-bat, Kernen lined a grand slam over the centerfield fence, making it 10-1.

“Everybody was really excited,” Kernen said. “We knew we had a good chance of winning after that because our lead was so big.”

Parkway South would go on to score a run in the sixth and four in the seventh, but it wouldn’t be enough. The Tigers advanced to the state semifinals.

The winner of the semifinal game this Friday will play either St. Joes Academy or Truman. The state semifinal games will be played at Killian Sports Complex in Springfield, both games starting at 11 am.

“We feel good about the way we are playing,” said Sturm. “Our seniors are providing excellent leadership and we will be ready for this weekend.”