OHS basketball hopes for improvement

OHS basketball hopes for improvement

OHS basketball is off to its worst start since the 2006-2007 season. The 1-4 Tigers lost three games in the Webster Groves tournament, before losing their fourth straight game to McCleur North last Tuesday night.

Despite this rough start, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel for this team. The coaching staff is enthused by the hardworking seniors, and the young talent surrounding them. Also, there have been signs of improvement over the few games this season. Against McCluer North, probably the toughest game all season to this point, OHS actually out rebounded the Stars by three, and Austin Gillmann (10) played his best game of the season, hauling in eight rebounds, scoring three baskets, and rejecting five shots.

“Turnovers killed us, as they have all season. However, we have improved each game this season, even though the scoreboard might not show it. We’re not making the same mistakes,” head coach Nick Traxler said.

Apart from Gillmann, Austin Cibulka (12) and Tommy Breunig (11) are both averaging around six points per game, and Tristan Buckhaulter (10) is leading the team with 2.5 assists per game.

From this point on, OHS is just looking to improve each day, and stay consistent. Traxler is convinced that his team has the number one toughest schedule in St. Louis.

“If it isn’t number one, it’s in the top three. I do this to prepare my team for the district tournament, and to put us in a good position to win a conference championship as well,” Traxler said.

With this tough schedule, OHS might not have a quality overall record, but young team will quickly gain the experience needed to be successful down the road.