Season ends at district championship for both teams

With high hopes, both the boys and girls basketball teams walked into the gym at OHS Friday night looking to claim a district title over Jackson. Unfortunately, neither team won their respective championship games ending both their seasons.

The girls took the floor first coming out strong.The Tigers and Jackson went back-and-forth in the first half of the game. The Tigers led at half 25-18, led by starting point guard Aaryana Cook who had 21 in the first half. In the second half the Tigers struggled to score, only scoring 15 points. On the defensive end, the girls had a hard time containing Jackson’s Rachel Crites who lit it up from downtown, draining three after three. In the end Cook’s 26 was not enough to propel the Tigers past Jackson. The Indians won by the final score of 47-40.

The boys came out firing too, sprinting out to a 6-0 led 2 minutes into the game. From there the first half was downhill for the Tigers. The Tigers went into halftime trailing by double digits. The third quarter was not much better, and the Tigers trailed by 15 heading into the fourth quarter. It looked gloomy for the boys when scoring leader Ervin Sarajlic (11) fouled out with just under six minutes left in the game. The Tigers weren’t dead though, playing tough defense and attacking the basket the deficit was cut to four with under two minutes left. Tommy Bruenig (12)  then drained a three to cut the lead to one and went down the court and drew a charge giving OHS the ball. Unfortunately Tristan Buckhalter missed a layup that would have gave the Tigers the lead, and Jackson was able to pull away at the free throw line.

It was a tough way to end the season for both teams, but it was especially emotional for seniors Tommy Bruenig, Mike Munsell, Aaryana Cook, Shannon Hasty, Jackie McCuthchen, and Alex Perry who played their last basketball game as a Tiger Friday night.