2013 Billboard Music Awards recap

2013 Billboard Music Awards recap
Jeff Siner

Last night, the annual Billboard Music Awards took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Tracy Morgan hosted the ceremony and it was kicked off with Bruno Mars performing “Treasure” off of his recent album.

The first award of the night was presented to Nicki Minaj for top rap artist followed by Selena Gomez’s performance of “Come & Get It,” her new single off her upcoming album. It mirrored her performance of the same song on the MTV Movie awards, only with white curtains instead of red.

Top digital song was awarded to pop star Carly Rae Jepsen for her smash hit “Call Me Maybe,” which accumulated over 7 million digital downloads. The Band Perry followed that award with a smash performance of “Better Dig It” which had an amazing drum performance by all three of the members. The award for top hot 100 songs went to Gotye for his song “Somebody That I Used to Know.”

Swedish pop duo Icona Pop followed suit with their recent hit “I Love It, “ which has been in the top ten on iTunes for quite awhile. Chris Brown was introduced next with a heavily dance-based performance of his recent hit “Fine China.” Madonna got a mini segment dedicated to her for her recent MDNA tour which was a factor in her winning Billboard’s top touring artist. Hayden Panettiere introduced Macklemore across the strip and he sang “Thrift Shop” alongside Ryan Lewis. He later won the award for top rap song for the song he performed.

Top Male Artist went to pop sensation Justin Bieber. He had two performances that evening, which consisted of a performance of his song “Take You,” which was voted for him to sing by his fans on Twitter. He followed up later with a performance with will.I.am for their song “That Power.” Bieber not only won top male artist, he also won top social artist and the coveted Billboard Milestone Award.

Taylor Swift had quite the evening as well. She took home five Billboard music awards for top female artist, top Billboard 200 album, top country artist, top country album, and artist of the year, in which she beat out such artists as Justin Bieber. She performed “22” for the very first time on television which had her starting out backstage before making her way into the arena. Her performance consisted of 7,000 backup singers and dancers, making it one we will never forget.

Other performers included Kacey Musgraves, Miguel, Pitbull and Christina Aguilera, Ed Sheeran, Jennifer Lopez, David Guetta with Ne-Yo and Akon, Nicki Minaj and Lil’ Wayne, and the final performance of the evening was Prince, who got about twelve minutes dedicated to him and his achievements.

A full list of winners can be viewed on Perez Hilton’s website, www.perezhilton.com