STL Virtual Reality: Worth it or not?

New STL Virtual Reality location opens in Oakville
Image from the STL Virtual Reality website.

STL Virtual Reality, located on Telegraph, is worth the money and time for anyone interested in a virtual reality gaming experience. The cost of going for 30 minutes for one person is $20, and on the weekend it’s $40. While 30 minutes might not seem like a long enough time, it is. Thirty minutes felt like a great time because of how exhausted I was after I had the headset on and was walking around. 

The virtual reality headset that was provided to play in was the Meta Quest, and it worked great. The headset felt snug and comfortable on my head and gave me no problems. The graphics were also insanely good, almost to the point where I forgot I was just playing a game. The headset had great speakers and I could hear all of the sounds like they were in real life. Sometimes while playing, I even ran into my sister because I forgot that she was just a fake character. The headset and controllers were incredibly easy to work with and were not complicated at all to use and control, which is great if you are trying VR for the first time. 

I played two games while I was there. The first one we played was Shmooter: Cube Experience. This game was insanely fun. You have to use a variety of weapons to attack the other people on other islands from afar and up close. My strategy was to keep using the portals around each island to teleport and chase the enemies down and attack them. The second game we played was Shmooter: Space Battle Experience. This game was personally my favorite out of the two because I think space is awesome. This game is similar in a way to Cube Experience because of needing the portals to travel into parts of spaceships and attack other players. Also looking out into the distance and seeing space is pretty freaky and feels very real. 

The space at STL Virtual Reality was very fun to play in because of the large room and soft floors. I had the freedom to move around and not worry about bumping or hitting anything because of the boundaries that lit up when I got closer to the real-life walls. Playing virtual reality in a space like this is completely different from playing in a house where there are things to bump into, which adds to the fun of this experience. The whole location of STL Virtual Reality is insanely convenient, with plenty of parking available.

All in all, I will have to come back and try the other games with some of my friends. I had a great time, and I think everyone who has a chance to go should.