Planning for the Future

Students apply to prestigious colleges
Emma Neuhoff

For many seniors right now, the stress of college applications weighs on their minds. With each college requiring different materials like letters of recommendation, test scores, transcripts and essays, it can be overwhelming. However, for some seniors, the stress of applying is amplified by applying to schools with more competitive acceptance rates. 

“I’m applying to Cornell, University of Chicago, UPenn, Harvard, WashU, Stanford, University of Southern California,” Britney Du (12) said. “I’m also applying to UMKC, the program where I can graduate with both my MD and my BA. That one has a really small acceptance rate, like a 3 percent. I have to answer at least eight questions for it, and they’re all essay questions, and they don’t even accept my Common App that I spent at least four months on. My CommonApp that I ended up submitting is my sixth draft.”

With each college requiring different materials, the application process will look different for every senior, and each of them will present its own struggles. 

“[The most challenging part of applying] is the essay writing and finding the time to do it,” Samantha Wetteroff (12) said.

Du has also faced her own struggles while applying. 

“The supplemental questions are so much. There’s literally like five per college that ends up being too much. It’s 250-350 words per supplement. And if there’s five per college and I’m applying to 20, you can do the math,” Du said. 

With these struggles, College and Career Counselor Chris Ventimiglia gives advice to students on how to make the process more manageable for themselves. 

“I think a good number [of colleges to apply to] is anywhere from three to six. I think when you get above that, you’re casting a pretty wide net, and you need to take a real stronger look at yourself and what you want your college experience to look like,” Ventimiglia said. “Be kind of selfish and say, ‘I want these things if I’m going to pay 100,000 bucks to go to school for four years…”

Despite the struggles and stress that comes with the application process, many students are looking forward to beginning the next chapter of their life. 

“I’ve been thinking about where I wanna go, the moment I move out, since eighth grade. I’ve prepared myself for this, and I really hope that it lives up to my expectations. I’ll miss all my friends and it’ll be sad, but as you enter into college, I feel like that’s when you actually know where your path in life is gonna go,” Du said. “Obviously, I know somewhat of what I want my life to be whenever I’m an adult, but as soon as you go to college, that’s where it’s set. Like you’re gonna graduate with a degree, that’ll get you a job or will continue on into something else. So I feel as soon as I get into college, I will have a bigger outlook of what my life will be like.”