StuCo’s annual food drive is a success

StuCo’s annual food drive is a success

This year for the canned food drive, OHS students collected 9,508 food items to benefit Feed My People. This year’s collection set a record for OHS.

The canned food drive started Nov. 3 and ended Nov. 19 and was sponsored by Stuco. Their goal was set for 6,000 cans to donate to Feed My People. The goal was broken in 13 school days. Of course, Stuco didn’t do it on their own. They received a lot of help from OHS teachers who really worked at getting their students involved in the food drive.

Jenn Fruhwirth and Laura Zwilling, both English teachers at OHS, teamed up with Stuco to help out. Zwilling’s ANP has been the grade level winner for the past three years and Stuco has come to depend on their help each year.

“We have even surpassed our own goals each year and I am very proud of them and especially thankful to their families who have been so generous!” Zwilling said.

In the past, OHS has only collected about 5,000. This year Stuco set the goal at 6,000 and were worried because of the large number and the many other charitable events going on at the same time. When they first counted the cans there was only 1,790, which made some assume we wouldn’t pull through. However with the efforts of students, faculty and staff OHS successfully collected the extraordinary amount of over 9,000 cans.