Band brings home the gold

Band brings home the gold

The OHS symphonic band participated in the Heritage Music Festival in Williamsburg, VA, this past weekend. Along with being the only band to receive a gold rating, the group won the outstanding band award for having the highest score out of all bands and the sweepstakes award for having more than one performing group from OHS (choir) participate in the festival.

“I was pleased with how we performed,” Brakefield said. “We performed at the level we rehearse at. Everything [that the judges said] was accurate.”

Band members endured a 16 hour charter bus ride before arriving in colonial Williamsburg on Thursday morning. The group was exposed to quite a bit of American history as they visited Yorktown and Jameston and participated in a mock witch trial.

“I thought [the trip] was interesting,” Kayla Schimmer (9) said. “In middle school, we don’t have as much freedom [on trips].”

The band performed early Saturday morning before spending the day in Busch Gardens. The park yielded a lot of entertainment for the kids, but their time was cut short and the awards ceremony was canceled due to inclement weather.

“I thought [the trip] went really smooth,” Brakefield said. “I was most pleased with how prompt and respectful [the students] were.”