Mehlville School District is at the top, says national report

Mehlville shares the top spot in two ROI measurement categories

ST. LOUIS (February 22, 2011) – A recent study has the Mehlville School District tied for top in the State when measuring Return on Investment. According to a new national report from the Center for American Progress, a Washington, D.C., based think tank, the Mehlville School District has a great return on investment. When stacked against the 523 Missouri school districts studied for the report, the Mehlville School District is tied for the top in two of three measurement categories including Basic Return on Investment and Adjusted Return on Investment. The study, a district-by-district evaluation of U.S. education productivity, is a culmination of a yearlong effort to evaluate the efficiency of the nation’s public education system and includes the first-ever attempt to measure the academic achievement a school district produces relative to its educational spending, while controlling for factors outside a district’s control, such as cost of living and students in poverty.

“Our plan in the Mehlville School District is and always will be to do the very best we can with what we have,” stated Deputy Superintendent Dr. Eric Knost. “Ultimately our goal is to advance student achievement regardless of obstacles.”

Nearly all U.S. public school districts with a total enrollment of 250 or more students were evaluated in the study. Out of the 523 districts in Missouri, 41 were included in the top tier. Only two Saint Louis County districts were listed in this elite group for their student achievement per dollar spent – Mehlville and Rockwood.

“Our study found that Mehlville provided an above average bang for its buck relative to other districts in the state on most of our metrics,” explained Ulrich Boser, the report’s author.

Displayed on the interactive map and graph on the website, visitors can see how the Mehlville School District measures against other Missouri districts. Basic ROI is calculated utilizing a formula displayed in the report. The results for Mehlville place the district at the top of the highest of six tiers, shown in dark green.

“This study is strong validation of the fact that our staff, administration and Board work together to produce the highest achievement at the lowest cost,” stated Knost.

The report and an interactive map can be found on the website of the Center for American Progress at www.americanprogress.org.

About the Mehlville School District
    The mission of the Mehlville School District is to ensure that all students reach their potential by preparing them to be lifelong learners and responsible citizens through a dynamic curriculum, student-centered instruction, a safe and nurturing environment and community collaboration. Located in south St. Louis County, the District encompasses all or part of the unincorporated communities of Mehlville, Oakville, Concord and Lemay. Through its dedication to providing institutional excellence, fiscal responsibility and community benefit, this fully accredited District serves the educational needs of about 11,000 children in a growing community of more than 90,000 residents within a 44-square-mile area. For more information, visit the District’s website at www.mehlvilleschooldistrict.com.