Classic Christmas Roundup

A brief insight into some Christmas movie classics
Splash
Many people around Christmas time watch Christmas movies to get into the holiday spirit.

Being a student in the times of phones and social media, I find happiness in simple Christmas movies and getting away from all the chaos. Some of my favorite holiday movies are “Home Alone,” “The Polar Express,” “Elf” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”

“The Polar Express” is an animated film that has lessons for all ages. Its animation and soundtrack get the audience’s attention and is a captivating experience. Every time I watch this movie, it gives me a strong nostalgic feeling from my childhood that I enjoy. The movie takes us on a journey to the North Pole as a young kid, meeting many other kids along the way and Santa. As a high school student, this movie reminds me that miracles still exist.

Next, “Elf,” starring Will Ferrell, is an incredible holiday movie that always makes me smile. Buddy the elf, the main character of the movie, has infinite enthusiasm and is a perfect example of someone who embraces the Christmas spirit. Buddy has a childish personality which adds to the magic of the movie, and it’s a joy to watch. The movie isn’t just about gifts and stuff, it’s about the laughter and joy of the Christmas spirit.

Next, “Home Alone” — another Christmas classic. Kevin McCallister’s booby traps working against the intruders is hilarious to watch unfold on screen. Seeing Kevin be left alone in the house with no family during the holidays makes me thankful that I have my family during this time. “Home Alone” has many funny and exciting elements that make it able to be rewatched over and over again.
Lastly, “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” gives a comedic and realistic depiction of a family Christmas gathering. The Griswold family’s crazy holiday celebrations are hilarious and depict many other family celebrations. This movie shows me that even through chaos, there’s something special about spending Christmas with family.

However, not all Christmas movies are as incredible as these movies. While these older movies have stood through the test of time, some new Christmas movies are too modern and have tons of CGI that don’t hit the same as the older movies. The newer, modern movies lack the magical feeling that these movies have. All in all, I think older, classic Christmas movies are a joy to watch.