Edwards is recognized in Sports Illustrated

Softball pitcher Remy Edwards (12) was recognized in the November issue of a nationwide magazine, Sports Illustrated (SI).

Edwards was in the “Faces in the Crowd” section which is dedicated to amateur student athletes. Top performers from any sport are chosen from candidates that are submitted to SI.

“It was really unreal,” Edwards said. “It didn’t hit me until I saw it myself.”

The article was supposed to be a surprise to Edwards but head Coach Rich Sturm couldn’t keep the secret.

“Coach Sturm told my parents about the article,” Edwards said. “I guess his emotions got the best of him and he told me too.”

Edwards was submitted by Lauren Fussell’s (12) parents who sent SI a short story. Edwards was chosen because of her no-hitter in the state championship game. She was also recognized for her high school career record of 66-12 while posting a 0.99 earned run average. Edwards also had a total of 649 strikeouts through 499 innings in her three years as a varsity pitcher.

“Its easy to see that she is a talented pitcher,” Sturm said. “She is also a great leader and had the will and want to win every time she went out there. Remy is just one of those rare players where everybody’s level of play increases from just being around her.”

View Comments (1)