The Senior’s departure leaves some lonely students

Confusion has swept over the faces of Oakville as the realization of the seniors’ departure finally hit.  They knew it was going to happen, thought they prepared for it.  But when you see the empty hallways and half empty classrooms that’s when it smacks you right in the face.

Some classrooms were more fortunate then others, keeping their students with very little gone. But some classes are vacated completely except for a few lonely students.

In Sra. Carol Robinson’s Spanish lV class, Jen Smith (11) sits silent in an empty room, just she and the teacher.

“It’s a lot different because I relied on the seniors for a lot of the answers so now I’m on my own,” Smith says.

Up the stairs and down the hall a student would run into another class barricaded of students because of the seniors’ departure. In Mr. Brian Crawford’s AP Studio Art Course, Ciera McNabb (11) and Haley Boeschen (11) have the whole classroom to themselves.

“It’s weird because all the seniors had an impact on how class ran. They were leaders so the class will be different without them,” says McNabb.

But although the students feel a slight change, the teachers are more affected due to the hurried final schedules and end of the year projects that seniors need to finish before they leave. But when the departure takes action, teachers feel a wave of relief.

“It changes the Chemistry of the class. It has a calming effect on the end of the year,” says Mr. Mark Huckabee, retiring art teacher at OHS.

Even though the students are on edge because of the drastic change, the seniors-to-be are excited to take on the role as head of the school.

“I’m really excited to be a senior. There’s a lot more responsibility and you have to start thinking about and preparing for college,” says McNabb.