Students walk for diabetes

Students walk for diabetes

For the first time, OHS is going to host a Cure for Diabetes Walk during Academic Networking Period (ANP). This will be held on the OHS track outside during 6th block on Oct. 24. Any student that donates a minimum of one dollar will be able to go outside during ANP and walk the track or just hang out with their friends on the field.

For some students, one dollar is not enough. Many students are putting their effort and passion into this cause because they believe in what their money is going toward. The money is going to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) to find a cure for this disease. JDRF is a national organization that is dedicated to searching for a cure for type one diabetes (T1D) and a way of improvement for people with T1D.

Pam Frederich, head nurse at OHS, has brought this Cure for Diabetes Walk around to OHS. She got involved with JDRF through her previous job at Barnes-Jewish Children’s Hospital, where she fell in love with this organization.

“I’m extremely passionate about this. JDRF has done some incredible research for type one diabetes,” Nurse Pam said. “When I started with JDRF, I worked on an intricate floor with diabetic kids that at the time had no other way to administer insulin, but through straight injection. I’ve seen what JDRF has done and I wanted to give back.”