Caring Connections

SSD teacher creates strong relationships with students
Kyle Bryant
Kyle Bryant, SSD teacher, works with his students during class. “…You build a good connection with the kids,” Bryant said, “and they enjoy the little stuff, and it’s just enjoyable.” Bryant has also coached football and wrestling during his eight years working at OHS.

Food sizzles on the stove, supervised by a handful of kids. Groups sit together comparing ideas. Between two classrooms, Kyle Bryant smiles as he works with the students.

Making teacher-student connections can be hard. But for Bryant, a Special School District Center-Based Teacher (Special Education teacher), strong personal connections with his students is a part of his job he takes to heart. 

“…Straight out of college I was a para working for SSD…[I] enjoyed it, so I went back and got certified to teach Special Ed, and I’ve been doing it ever since,” Bryant said.

Bryant and his students build strong relationships throughout the years they are together. 

“You build a really close relationship because you’re with them for four years straight and sometimes even longer…” Bryant said.

In his position, Bryant teaches students with intellectual disabilities. Learning is personalized to the individual, and they do much more beyond the standard academic skills.

“We do more life skills and functional academics…How to get ready to get a job out in the work environment and being able to try and live on your own,” Bryant said. “So like daily living skills that some of us take for granted, some of our friends need more help with…” 

Inclusion and connection with these students in the school has changed since Bryant attended OHS.

“When I was a student at Oakville, the school as a whole really didn’t connect much with them (the students in room 109/111) and do much with them,” Bryant said. “And now coming back to work at Oakville, there’s so much integration and everything, with including them in the classrooms and doing fun activities with them. It’s just like a different onset with just how diverse the school has become with integrating our type of students throughout the everyday school day.” 

During his seven years working with his students, Bryant has experienced many ups and downs.

“Every day is a different day… They (the students) might not be the biggest fan of an activity one day, but the next day they’re still excited to come back to school, so it’s very rewarding,” Bryant said.

Bryant has seen a change in himself since he started working with these students. He enjoys being with them and looks forward to seeing how they grow.

“We like people coming in to visit and hanging out with our students, and don’t be afraid to stop by and check in if you know any kids that people went to middle school with. We like when people come in and talk with our friends, and they enjoy it, too,” Bryant said. “It’s a rewarding job.”