Smart Cookie

OHS sophomore shoots for academic excellence

As the class of 2026 gets closer and closer to graduation, many of them are aiming for the best that they can academically achieve. One particular student who demonstrates this is enrolled in both AP Euro and AP World History — Oliver Nelsen (10), who takes education very seriously. 

“My parents have always wanted me to be doing good in school and extracurriculars,” Nelsen said. “They want me to make the most of the opportunities that I have.”

Nelsen is a high-achieving student as shown by his double enrollment in AP Euro and AP World History. Since freshman year, he has been aiming for challenging courses. However, this year, Nelsen was struck by surprise.

“I had a schedule conflict with not being able to take French III at Mehlville,” Nelsen said. “So then I asked here (OHS) if I could take an extra AP class.”

Though sometimes difficult, Nelsen manages to stay on top of all of his classes.

“It sometimes makes it difficult to do all the reading and other homework,” Nelsen said, “but I make it work.”

Nelsen is also a member of the school’s band, swimming team and water polo programs. While managing to uphold all of his academic responsibilities with a cumulative GPA of 4.083, he is able to do the same for his extracurriculars. For other students who are experiencing a similar workload and are wishing to be successful, Nelsen has advice.

“I recommend for others to pay attention and take to heart what you are learning,” Nelsen said, “even if you think it’s boring.”