The Voice Behind The Annoucements

Administrative assistant Renee Lamatina does daily annoucements for school

Students are probably familiar with hearing the daily announcements, but they may not know who is behind them. Administrative assistant Renee Lamatina has been in charge of the announcements for the last two years.

“There’s a lot going on in the office, and so it’s really noisy…Just making sure that I stay focused and make sure I get all the information out to everyone, without all the noise behind me, is a little bit of a challenge sometimes,” Lamatina said.

Despite any challenges that arise, Lamatina continues to fulfill her duty to recognize deserving students at OHS. 

“I’m very particular about making sure I say people’s names correctly,” Lamatina said.

Lamatina also has a specific schedule she follows: on A days she does just morning announcements, and on B days she does morning announcements, along with ANP announcements. But sometimes, she has assistants. 

“I normally do them through Leadership. I get asked to go down there and promote spirit weeks or any events going on,” Mason Bader (12) said. “I find it a lot of fun because she’s really nice to talk to and she’s a very sweet human being.” 

Students are able to come down to the office to say announcements if they are promoting something or involved in a club.

“I enjoy when students come down and make announcements. It’s fun and sometimes they’re nervous… [I] just try to help them get over their nerves, and they always do great,” Lamatina said.

Teachers, coaches and sponsors of any activities email Lamatina if they need her to make an announcement, which she then puts in order. 

“For athletics, if anyone won a game the night prior, I always try to make sure I announce that first. And then I go through any activities, after school activities, that are happening…And then if it’s during ANP, if there’s anyone in the commons, I try to make sure that that’s done at the end so that everyone is aware of what’s happening,” Lamatina said.

Lamatina truly enjoys being the voice behind the announcements and is excited to let people know it’s her voice, along with how she does the announcements. 

“It’s great to be able to share the successes — academically, athletically, musically — of all the students here,” Lamatina said. “And I enjoy, you know,…making sure that everybody that needs to be recognized gets recognized.”