Journalism gets recognition: Seven OHS students go to the National Journalism Convention

On Nov. 16-20, a group of journalists took a trip to the National Journalism Convention. For the first time since attending the convention, they won two best of show awards.

The 2011 Yearbook received fourth place in Best of Show for yearbooks 275 to 325 pages. Channel 97 News received eighth place in Best of Show in the Broadcast category.

“It was nice to see my name on the internet. I like the direction the broadcast is going and I hope it continues,” line producer of the channel 97 broadcast Ryan Huegerich (12) said.

Jornalism students Anna Watson (12) and Emily Maag (12) received an honorable mention . Watson received honorable mention in the broadcast feature category for “A Day in the Life of a Lunch Lady”. Maag won honorable mention in feature writing on the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis in 2007.

“I was very excited because last year I didn’t win anything and it’s a huge deal to win. I was very proud of my story and I’m glad it received recognition,” Maag said.

The OHS journalists flew high. They got many awards and met all their goals. Now all there is to do is keep producing and wait for next year.