Choir takes a trip to New York

Choir takes a trip to New York

Over the years, many dreams have come true in New York City. Recently, a lot of the OHS choir student’s dreams have done just this. On April 11, over 100 OHS choir students left for New York City to fulfilled their dreams at the National Heritage Music Festival.

At this specific competition, six of the OHS Choir’s attended. This includes Concert Choir Tremble (CCT), Women’s Chamber Choir (WCC), Too Legit (also known as Tripmen), Concert Choir Mix (CCM), Madrigals (MADS), and Choral Choir.

After competing at the festival, CCT received first place, silver in the 2A category. WCC received third place, gold in the 3A category. Tripmen received first place, gold in the 3A category. CCM received first place, gold in the 3A category. MADS received first place, gold in the 3A category. Choral received second place gold in the same 3A category as WCC.

For placing with a gold, the choirs must have received a 90 percent or higher on an average of the three judges scores. For silver, the choirs must have received an 80 percent-89 percent on an average of the three judges scores. These categories are based on the size of each school, grades 10-12.

This placed CCM, Choral, Tripmen, and MADS all in the top 5 percent of the nation. This allowed them to receive the Adjudicator Award for ranking so high.

“This year was the first year that I loved the singing part of the trip,” OHS Choir member  Brittney Winter (12) said. “I felt like it was an amazing experience to be with the choir members that I got to sing with. It was really a blessing to realize that we are that good of a choir to rank in the top 5 percent. It was definitely an honor to be a part of it all.”

The choir’s trip was not fully spent on competing. They also got to do other things such as attend a dinner cruise around the Statue of Liberty, sightseeing, and spend four hours in Time Square.

“I loved the dinner cruise around the Statue of Liberty because I got to see the gorgeous skyline of New York City,” said OHS Choir member Sarah Stretch (11). “I also liked Time Square because… well, it was so amazing, I can’t even put it into words.”