OHS to host annual Coaches Vs. Cancer game, Feb. 22

The annual Coaches Vs. Cancer games between Oakville and Mehlville’s basketball teams will take place on Friday, Feb. 22 at Oakville.

This year the game’s importance is greater than ever. It will not only be the usual district rivalry, but also the final conference game for both Oakville and Mehlville, both the girls and boys’ senior night, and the height of cancer awareness for the schools.

The whole idea of the game, according to athletic director Mrs. Becky Czouppon, is “to raise as much money as we can and engage with the community.”

Head girls basketball Coach Aaron Bosch agreed. He says that the point of the games is not just for the game, but “to bring awareness to cancer and raise money for research.”

Both Junior Varsity teams will play at 4:00 pm. The boys will be in Gym A and the girls will be in Gym B. The Varsity girls game will start at 5:30 pm in Gym A, followed by the senior night shared between the boys and girls teams. Finally, the boys will play at 7:00 pm in Gym A.

Though the game is intense because of the district rivalry, the event focuses on the cancer cause much more. The girls play with a pink basketball every year, which will be raffled off at the end of the night, and t- shirts will also be sold for 10 dollars each. All proceeds go toward cancer research. The event will also be broadcasted online at prepcasts.com.

In addition, Oakville will be paying respects to its recently fallen senior, Angelique Bardley. During the senior night ceremony, a short ceremony for Angelique will also be added in memory of her.