Band says “Aloha” to Hawaii

Band says “Aloha” to Hawaii

On  April 15, the band performed the Night of Percussion at OHS. It was also a night of excitement for the OHS band as they received some exciting news. The new marching band uniforms were revealed, along with the destination of next year’s spring trip: Hawaii.

The news was greeted with thunderous applause and screaming from all the band kids in the audience. Three hula dancers even appeared and began dancing and passing leis out.

The OHS band was asked to perform on the USS Missouri in order to honor the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Brakefield read the band a letter from Governor Nixon, congratulating the band on being chosen. The band was picked because someone involved with the anniversary celebration heard their performance at the Missouri Music Educators Association Conference and was impressed.

In addition to the band teachers, Mr. Vance Brakefield and Mr. Theron Perkowski, Principal Mrs. Jan Kellerman and the middle school band directors will also be going on the trip.

Unlike usual spring trips, next years will take place in June of 2014. Although this means juniors this year will have graduated by then, they will still be invited to attend, as will incoming freshmen (current 7th graders).

The itinerary for the trip has already been prepared. The band will march in a parade, play on the USS Missouri, go to the beach, and go to a luau.

Despite these exciting plans, not all of the band members are excited. Some are worried about the steep price, over $2,000. Hopefully additional fundraising will help with this. Also, many current senior are also disappointed that they will not be able to go on the trip, however as Mr. Brakefield reminded the underclassmen, if it wasn’t for the work of the seniors the band would not have been picked to go to Hawaii in the first place.

However, for the most part the band is thrilled.

“I never would have imagined that I would be going to Hawaii, especially for band! It’s still hard to believe,” Jacqui Schanzle (11), said.

One student, Makayla Appel (10) has even begun a countdown to Hawaii, which currently stands at over 400 days.

“We are all really excited and can’t wait to go to Hawaii” Thomas Robert (11) said.