myOHSonline.com

Filed under News, Top Stories

OHS celebrates HoCo week

Back to Article
Back to Article

OHS celebrates HoCo week

The varsity cheerleaders are all smiles on their

The varsity cheerleaders are all smiles on their "Moana" themed float during the Homecoming Parade on Sept. 28.

Tiger Paw Yearbook

Tiger Paw Yearbook

Tiger Paw Yearbook

A week of beautiful weather helped Oakville celebrated another successful homecoming.

Homecoming was kicked off with Spirit Week, with spirit days including pajama day, camo day, 80’s workout day, USA day, and Hawaiian day.

“80’s workout day was my favorite day because it was original,” says Kamryn Kurtz (10). “I liked traveling to another decade for a day.”

One aspect of spirit week was the spirit competition. Every day in first hour, teachers counted the number of dressed-up students from each grade level in each of their classes. At the end of last hour, the day’s winners were announced. Seniors were declared the ultimate winners at the homecoming game on Friday.

Oakville wrapped up spirit week and prepared for the big game on Friday with a pep assembly during ANP. It featured fall sports updates, performances from the Oakville Golden Girls and cheer, a dance battle between students and teachers, and the presentation of the 2018 homecoming court. The assembly ended with Powerade being dumped on new principal Mr. Casey Olearnick’s head.

“I love performing at the assembly,” says Carolyn Grayson (12), a golden girl captain. “It’s an opportunity for everyone to see how hard we work.”

After school Friday was the homecoming parade. The parade featured floats from Oakville’s many clubs and sports teams, decorated to the theme of “Under the Sea”. Included was an Atlantis float from boy’s swim, a Moana float from varsity cheer, and an “Under the C’s” float from cross country.  

The winners of the best floats were announced at the homecoming game that night. Hockey won most original, boy’s swim won most spirited, and GSA’s first ever float won most creative. Varsity cheer won best theme, and the all-around best float award went to JV cheer.

“I like being a part of the parade every year, it’s really fun,” says Ben Lanier (10), a member of the swim team.

The theme of the homecoming football game was beach. Students wore their best beach clothes and brought inflatable rafts and beach balls. The halftime performances included the usual performances from the golden girls, cheer, and tiger twirlers.

The tigers suffered a tough loss against Seckman, the final score was 22-49. However, the students still enjoyed the whole week.

“Homecoming week is my favorite part of the school year,” says Davin Smith (10).

About the Writer
Lydia Manning, Reporter

Hi, I’m Lydia Manning! I’m a sophomore at Oakville and this is my first year in journalism. My favorite school subjects are Spanish and English. When...