Team work helps soccer overcome injuries

Team work has helped the Tigers overcome crucial injuries so far this season.

Four season ending injuries from defenders Kyle Filiput (10), Drew Hensel (12), Zach Klipsch (11), and midfielder John Makowski (12) seemed like they would put a damper on the Tiger’s success this season. With a record of 10-4-2, the Tigers have overcome these injuries and also received the number one seed in the metro area on Sept. 27.

“We work hard,” said forward John O’Brien (12). “We go into every game thinking we can beat any team.”

In the Catholic Youth Council (CYC) Tournament last weekend, the Tigers came home the champions. Beating top teams in the area like Chaminade, St. Louis U. High (SLUH) and Christian Brothers College (CBC) in the championship game, helped the Tigers be the first public school to win the tourney in 18 years.

“In the tournament, was all out team play,” said head coach Dave Robben . “The players were playing for one another.”

Even though some key players are gone for the season, Josh Richter (12) is anchoring the team with solid goalkeeping. Richter averaged 12 saves a game and also had back-toback shutouts against Fort Zumwalt North snd third ranked Chaminade. His play in the CYC tourney tournament helped Richter receive athlete of the week on Sept. 27.

“The team really came together in the tournament,” said Richter. “We were firing on all cylinders. Being named athlete of the week was also pretty cool also and I wasn’t expecting it.”

Even though the Tigers have faced many injuries from key players, they are having a very successful season so far.

“The team is a resilient group and they have been able to bounce back from adversity,” said Robben. “They have a geat work ethic and they work hard to overcome obstacles.”