Jumping From Freshman Team to Varsity

Football player joins varsity football team
Jack Delzeit (10) plays against Parkway South on Oct. 20 as a starting defensive back for OHS football. “I take time and listen to music, have quiet time and then I always say a prayer before every game, Delzeit said. It really helps to calm me down before a game. Delzeit jumped from playing on the freshman team to varsity.
Jack Delzeit
Jack Delzeit (10) plays against Parkway South on Oct. 20 as a starting defensive back for OHS football. “I take time and listen to music, have quiet time and then I always say a prayer before every game,” Delzeit said. “It really helps to calm me down before a game.” Delzeit jumped from playing on the freshman team to varsity.

While maintaining high expectations of himself throughout his OHS football career, Jack Delzeit (10) was able to successfully make it onto the varsity team. 

“I became involved in football because it’s been in my family for a long time and my brothers were really good in high school, which pushed me to work towards being a better player and teammate,” Delzeit said. 

Delzeit enjoyed playing varsity football because of the connections he made with the players. 

“…I love the guys. They are like my brothers,” Delzeit said. 

Delzeit attended practices over the summer to better his skill and relationships. Working with all of the guys over the summer allowed the team to rely on each other, which helped them to grow closer as a team. 

“I built a really strong connection with them over the summer,” Delzeit said. “We spent so many hours together, trying to better ourselves and each other.” 

Delzeit played on the freshman team his first year. Knowing he had a chance to be on varsity this year motivated him to work more. However, he knew he had to put in the work to earn his place. 

“I jumped from being on just the freshman team to being a starter on varsity, which is a pretty big change — being with the older people,” Delzeit said.

Delzeit’s effort and passion for football unexpectedly ended in receiving what he considers a great honor in high school football.

“This year, I was selected First Team All Conference as a defensive back,” Delzeit said. “I was really proud of all the work I put in for this to happen.”