Time to Make a Racquet

Senior tennis player looks to continue playing in college
Josh+Tiemann+%2812%29+throws+the+ball+up+in+the+air+as+he+prepares+to+serve+during+tennis+practice+at+Bernard+Middle+School.+I+was+number+one+freshman+and+junior+year+and+hopefully+senior+year%E2%80%A6+Tiemann+said.+Tiemann+has+played+tennis+for+nine+years.+
Alyssa Johnston
Josh Tiemann (12) throws the ball up in the air as he prepares to serve during tennis practice at Bernard Middle School. “I was number one freshman and junior year and hopefully senior year…” Tiemann said. Tiemann has played tennis for nine years.

Josh Tiemann (12) has been Oakville’s number one tennis player for two out of his four years in high school. 

“I was number one freshman and junior year and hopefully senior year…” Tiemann said. “We’ll just have to see.”

Since he plans to play tennis in college, Tiemann has tried to work through the recruitment process the best he can, as this can be a confusing and difficult process.

“…I did a camp where it was basically coaches telling you how to get attention, so basically I got a little program to where I would send out a bunch of emails to try to get attention…” Tiemann said. “I’d do a college visit, hit with their players, talk to their coaches and just hope for the best really and see what flyers come through the mail…”

While balancing his school and sport responsibilities, Tiemann knows how it’s difficult to keep his grades up while he competes for those coveted college offers.

“It’s a little stressful because I have to keep a certain GPA to get a certain amount of money, but besides that, I know I’m gonna get the scholarship regardless,” Tiemann said, “so [it’s] not that stressful. I’m just trying to enjoy my senior year.”

Tiemann has had success on the court, and part of that comes from his family.

“My parents always played, and I always loved playing with them,” Tiemann said. “And one day I thought I could be really good and took it way too seriously, and I just got better and better and here I am.”

As he wraps up his final year of high school, he has one thing he wants other students to remember before he leaves.

Tiemann said, “Enjoy your senior year.”