ISS: In school suspension turned In school studying

An In School Suspension (I.S.S.) in past years has not been a severe punishment for many students. They would go into a classroom for a day of school, complete whatever work their teacher sent down to them, and then sit for the remainder of their time with nothing to do. However, this year’s policies have changed.

Productivity is a must this year when given an I.S.S., forcing more students to complete more and do less of nothing. More is expected now; if a student does not have work to complete, then they are given more assignments or study materials to review.

Mr. Josh Bauer, the full-time teacher in the I.S.S. room this year, helps enforce the new rules. “Students are held more accountable for the work they choose to do or not to do [this year],” Bauer said.

“When students don’t have anything to do, they do additional assignments.”

Students also have the option, if they run out of work, to study for upcoming tests rather than sitting with no work to accomplish. “Study materials for different tests like the ACT or Accuplacer,” Bauer said, are available to all students.

These changes were made in order to make I.S.S. more strict and less relaxed. “A lot of teachers wanted to see I.S.S. as more of a productive environment,” Bauer said, and this year, that is exactly what it has become.