Speed through power

Speed through power

Being a successful student athlete means having the drive and dedication to continue to work hard and get better each and every day. The problem is that sometimes finding the right mindset and workout regimen can be difficult.

Speed Through Power is a small gym compared to places like Workout Co. or 24 hr. Fitness however, do not underestimate the possibilities this gym holds. Located in two locations, one on Manchester in the city and a second in St. Peters. OHS English teacher Laura Zwilling’s cousin, Bill McDonough runs the gym and has been trying to reach out to OHS athletes.

“I’ve been going there for about two years and it’s awesome. I feel a lot stronger than I’ve ever been, I have more energy and I’m not as stressed,” said Zwilling.

McDonough, a member of the USA Power lifting World Team is a force to be reckoned with. He is currently a coach for Team USA, he trains high school athletes who have been recruited by numerous colleges or who just wan to improve in a sport they are associated with, he has even coached the only person in history to bench press over 600 lbs. at age 60.

“We now work with over 70 jr. high, high school, college and pro athletes. My assistant coach and I also try to attend as many of the kids we work with athletic events as possible. We feel a real ownership/partnership in their success,” said McDonough.

Coaching and training is a passion McDonough has put to good use. He has coached many world champions and he is even working with OHS graduate Pat Doyle.

“Pat is in his second year with the Cincinnati Reds organization and made it up to Triple A team last season. He is projected by baseball experts to be a great pitching prospect with an excellent chance of pitching in the Majors in a couple of years,” said McDonough.

When searching for a new way to bulk up, lose weight and improve in a sport participated in, Speed Through Power can be that extra push needed to take a player’s success to the next level and at a reasonable price of $10 per one hour session.

“In order to work with our strength coaches you only need to have the desire to get better and work hard. On top of being the areas lowest facilities charge, we have the areas best product,” said McDonough.