Seniors cast ballots for spirit week

Seniors cast ballots for spirit week

Homecoming 2012 is already different from previous OHS dances because the senior class voted for the theme last spring, deciding on Under the Sea. Now, the senior class has been given the opportunity to vote again, this time for spirit week theme days.

On Monday, Sept. 10, seniors cast a ballot at Mrs. Kappel’s desk in the main office to choose three out of the five spirit days that precede homecoming. Originally Monday was to be the only day to vote for the spirit days, however voting has been extended to Friday, Sept. 14. Powder Puff day on Wednesday, Sept. 26, and Tiger day on Friday, Sept. 28 are set days.

Seniors can choose from the following options on the ballot: Hippie day, Toga day, Ferocious Shark day, Camoflauge day, Heritage/Western day, Neon day, and Hawaiian day. Students can also write in a theme suggestion.

Although spirit week was originally planned by the exec. committee, comments from leadership students and their senior peers led to a vote to allow everyone to have their say.

“The reasoning for letting fellow students to vote is to allow everyone to voice their own opinion on what they wish to do,” Senior Class President Dan Altmann said. “I strongly believe that allowing this has not only benefitted the decision making process by the class officers, but has also made the class feel closer together.”