Rivals engage in third annual underwear war

For the third year in a row, the Underwear Wars, run by the high school leadership classes at Oakville and Mehlville, will climax at the football game against Mehlville on Friday, Oct. 5.

The Undewear Wars represent the rivalry between Oakville and Mehlville students.  Each school collects new, unused packages of t- shirts, socks, diapers and underwear to donate to the St. Patrick’s Homeless Center.

“It’s important to be more concerned about the cause,” said Leadership student Sam Sobo (12). “People get caught up in the fun, but it’s really about helping those less fortunate.”

Every year, students from both schools’ leadership classes attempt to find new ways to collect money and undergarments and get students fired up for the war.

This year, Oakville students are reaching out. The leadership students are getting the community involved by engaging Oakville’s feeder schools, public and private, in a competition for gathering the most donations for the war. In addition, they are collecting money from parents and students at home sporting events and setting up flyers in local stores and businesses to encourage the community to participate.

Leadership is also working hard within the school to excite the students. Raffles will be put on display in the week previous to the game during lunches and flyers and posters have been hung up all over the school.

The first year the Underwear Wars were held, Mehlville won. Last year, however, Oakville claimed the title and the trophy. Nearly 13,000 packages were donated, and Oakville contributed over 8,000 of them. Both Oakville and Mehlville also received the “Biggest Benefit Award” from the St. Patrick’s Center because of the outstanding contribution of the event.

Oakville wants to keep the title and the trophy. However, according to leadership teacher Ms. Angelia Moore, OHS got off to a slow start. Moore thinks that the concern of the students right now is in Homecoming and Spirit Week, but after this week they should get their “big push.”

“Hopefully,” said Moore, “it’s not too late.”