Strings of lights and sound: OHS orchestra performs at Zoo Wildlights exhibit

For the fourth year in a row, OHS strings has performed at the Wild Lights exhibit at the St. Louis Zoo to celebrate the holiday season.

Every year, strings members, who consist of students from both Oakville and Mehlville strings, bring their instruments to the St. Louis Zoo to entertain audiences of the Wild Lights exhibit, an exhibit the Zoo puts on every year by decorating places around the park with lights. The strings program includes violinists, violists, cellists, and bassists from grades nine through twelve at both high schools. Students dressed in ugly holiday sweaters to show their spirit this year, and were able to enjoy the lights around the park before their performance.

“The Zoo concert is awesome because we get to leave school and hang out with orchestra buddies and see all the lights and play fun music that everyone knows,” OHS violist Savannah Fedorchak (12) said.

The students performed in the Lakeside Cafe for a large crowd on Friday, Dec. 7. Board member Mr. Ron Fedorchak, whose three daughters play in strings, attended the show as well as Spanish teacher Mrs. Jeanne Weber and many strings parents.

“It was really cool to see all the different people and know that they support us,” Fedorchak said.

Katie Krajczar (12) also attended the concert to watch her friends in strings. “The concert was really good,” Krajczar said. “They played beautifully and the lights were a bonus, and I got to spend time with my friends.”

The Zoo concert allows OHS strings players an opportunity to perform somewhere other than school and bring attention to the program. Strings members look forward to the concert each year.

“At normal strings concerts we wear all black and play classical music and no one comes, but lots of people come to see us at the zoo,” Fedorchak said.

[nggallery id=20]