Filed under News, Top Stories

OHS Choir receive recognition at competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

OHS choir performing at the Wolrdstrides Heritage Festival in Williams-burg, Virginia

TigerPaw Yearbook

TigerPaw Yearbook

TigerPaw Yearbook

OHS choirs stole the show at their recent competition in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Choir students traveled to the east coast for the Worldstrides Heritage Festival on April 10-14, where the program received first place in every choir category.

Concert Choir Mixed, Chorale, Men’s Choir, and Madrigal Singers received first in their own categories– concert choir, women’s choir, men’s choir, and chamber choir. Chorale, Men’s Choir, and Mads received Adjudicator’s Awards, meaning their scores averaged to 95 or more out of 100. Men’s Choir and Mads tied for the top score in the competition. OHS also received the Sweepstakes Award, which means the program had the highest combined score from two of their groups.

“I was kind of exhausted performing on stage because I had to sing for three different choirs, but it was good to put songs on stage that we worked so hard on,” said Brittany Kohne (11), member of CCM, Chorale, and Mads.

Eric Throm (12), Nathan Gallop (12), and Thomas Schartner (11) received Maestro Awards for their solos.

“I was very excited to get a Maestro Award this year because I had wanted one since my freshman year,” said Throm, “but I was much more excited once our Men’s Ensemble took first place.”

For many students, taking home a trophy is not as important as growing as musicians and forming strong bonds. After performing, the groups toured Colonial Williamsburg and spent the next day at Busch Gardens.

“This year, being my last trip, was well worth it because I was able to be a leader for the younger students in the program,” said Bekah Keller (12). “I loved making new relationships with them and having a good time.”

Choir director Mr. Michael Wegener was also pleased with the trip. “It is not easy to drive halfway across the country and then sing at a high level the next day,” he said. “I am more proud of how our groups carry themselves. Our students always carry themselves in a professional manner and I am proud to have them represent our school.”