OHS defeats rival Mehlville in anticipated game

After losing their homecoming game to Parkway South, OHS came back in a big way Friday night against Mehlville.

Sophomore quarterback Andy Oliver had one rushing touchdown and two passing touchdowns to lead the Tigers to a 34-17 win against arch-rival Mehlville.

“Everyone played good and we did good as a team,” Oliver said.

The Tigers were the first to strike with a field goal by Andrew Bick (12).  After Mehlville was forced to punt, Oliver connected with wide receiver Javon Henderson (12) for a 22 yard completion that put OHS at Mehlville’s 22 yard line.  A ten yard penalty by Mehlville set up Oliver for an 11 yard touchdown run at the beginning of the second quarter.

An interception by defensive back Avion Stevenson (11) got OHS the ball back.  After trading fumbles, the Tigers gained possession.  A 22-yard touchdown run by running back Morris LaGrand (11) gave OHS a 16-0 lead after a missed extra point.  Mehlville would go on to score a field goal to wrap up the first half, with the score 16-3.

At the beginning of the second half, Oliver connected with Henderson for a 53-yard touchdown pass to wrap up a 65-yard drive, making it 22-3 OHS.  An interception by Henderson brought the ball back to OHS.

Late in the third quarter, Oliver completed an 83-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jaron Henderson (12), making the score 28-3 at the end of the third quarter.  “Up front we picked up the stunts and sustained blocks,” head coach Arlee Conners said. “We moved the ball from the quarterback to the receiver and they made some good plays for us.”

Mehlville scored their first touchdown on a 19 -yard pass and the successfully executed two point conversion made ths core 28-11.

Mehlville recovered an onside kick, with the drive ending in a four yard touchdown pass, making the score 28-17 in the fourth quarter.

With a quarterback sneak from Brendan Jost (11) for a four yard touchdown run, the Tigers put the game out of reach for the Panthers.

“For the most part we did pretty good,” Conners said. “ There were points where we could do better, but we’ll take the win.”

The win improves the Tiger’s record to 2-2 and they play at Francis Howell North Sept. 23 at 7 p.m.

View Comments (1)