Henderson puts on a show for the rebounding Tigers

Returning from suspension, coach Arlee Conners had his OHS football team focused and prepared to take on Fox Friday night. After losing unmercifully to Lafayette the previous week, OHS came out and took control of Fox, beating them 38-16, and for fourth win of the season.

Javon Henderson (12) may have played the game of his life Friday night, single-handedly outscoring the Warriors entire team. He recorded three offensive touchdowns: a 48 yard touchdown pass from Andy Oliver (10) in the second quarter, a 33 yard touchdown pass from Oliver in the third quarter, and he also scored on a 80 yard run in the fourth quarter. To add to his outstanding offensive performance, Henderson recorded a fumble recovery in the first quarter that he returned 48 yards for a touchdown. He concluded the game with four total touchdowns, and 246 total yards gained.
“Javon had a big game, he’s our playmaker, and we try to get the ball to him as much as possible. Our offensive line deserves a lot of credit too. They didn’t allow a sack all game, and they opened holes that allowed our running game to be successful,” Conners said.

The Tigers running game was solid to say the least. They averaged over seven yards per carry and recorded 235 total yards for the game. While that aspect of the offensive attack clicked, Oliver again proved he’s more than capable of controlling a team, even as a sophomore. The quarterback threw for 243 yards and three touchdowns, two to [Javon] Henderson, and another 80 yard bomb to his brother Jaron Henderson (12).

The last three games on a high school football team’s schedule represent the district games. Every team, regardless of their record, has an equal chance at a district championship or even state championship. After each team has played the three games, the two teams with the best record advance to play for a district championship. With their win Friday night, OHS took a step forward, as they now have a 1-0 record in district play.

OHS football has had an up and down year. The win over Fox gives them an overall record of 4-4. The team has a week now to prepare for their second district game against the winless Northwest. However, the Tigers taking the team lightly. If they were to drop the game against Northwest Friday, that would put them in a tough position, a 1-1 record heading into the final district game against a tough Eureka team.

“We want to continue our solid play. We need to stay sharp and and play smart. We were so focused Friday, if we’re going to be successful then we need to continue that focus from here on out,” Conners said.

For the first time in four games, the Tigers will play at home next Friday. They’re only 1-2 on the season at home, but the entire team is excited about playing in front of their home fans.