Volleyball has a disappointing end to a successful season

After going 28-6-1 during the season, girls volleyball fell short of their goal of winning a district championship.

In the district championship match on Oct. 26 Lindbergh was able to take down the Tigers, who were ranked No.5 on stlhighschoolsports.com at the time. OHS won the first game 25-20 and lost the second game 25-19, bringing the match to a nail-biting game 3.

“We felt ready and pumped,” outside hitter Jen Wolken (12) said. “We knew it was going to be a good fight and we were ready.”

After four straight kills by middle hitter Sarah Makowski (11), OHS took a 20-18 lead over Lindbergh in game three. The Tigers were just one match point away three different times from winning the district championship, but they could not put the persistent Flyers away. After a kill by Wolken , OHS and Lindbergh were tied 27-27, with a district title hanging in the balance. The Flyers were able to record two straight kills to put the Tigers away and capture their first district title in thirteen years.

“They always play their best game against us,” Wolken said.

Even though  the Tiger’s season ended earlier  than they would have liked, there are still many positive things to take away from this season. The Tigers won conference with an undefeated record in conference play (8-0) for the first time in the school’s history.

“Even though we didn’t win districts, we still progressed as a team and made a memorable season,” Wolken said.