OHS wrestlers looking forward to districts

With the high school wrestling district tournament quickly approaching, the OHS Tigers are looking forward to their star performers qualifying and advancing beyond the tournament in their respected weight classes.

The Tigers overall record this season was poor due to their lack of wrestlers in all weight classes. However, they do have standout performers in several weight classes.

“We’re looking for Tommy Suda (9), Dominic O’Neil (10), Jon Bromeier (11), and Jimmy Broderick (11) to qualify beyond districts,” head coach Brett Lieberoff said. “Those are our top guys, they’re leading us in all major categories.”

Bromeier  qualified for state last year, and hopes to repeat this year as well. Coach Lieberoff thinks he’s actually improved from last year, and expects him to repeat as a state contender.

Those four wrestlers are dispersed among four different weight classes. Suda wrestles in the 106 lb. class, O’Neil in the 126 lb. class, Bromeier in the 138 lb. class, and Broderick in the heavyweight class. They have a combined record of 108-38, and Broderick is leading the team with a record of 33-3.

“Jimmy is a hard worker day in and day out,” Lieberoff said. “He’s also very skilled. I think his record speaks for itself.”

Lindbergh will host this district tournament on Friday, Feb. 10 at 5 p.m., and Saturday, Feb. 11 at 8 a.m.