Robben acquires his 1,000 victory as girls varsity soccer defeats Northwest

Varsity soccer head coach Dave Robben reached the 1,000 victory mark Tuesday, March 27 when the OHS girls varsity soccer team defeated the Northwest Lions 3-1. The Tigers played a possessive space-oriented  game. Abby Ullo (12) led the attack by scoring the Tiger’s first goal within the first ten minutes of the game.  Ashley Burton (12) and Gabby Korte (11) also scored.

“It’s one of those things we call milestones,” Robben said. “You don’t realize that it’s coming up until it’s there, and it’s really a reflection of the great kids we have in the program.”

The game against Northwest was the Tiger’s first game opening their season with a record of 1-0.

“For a first game I thought it was wonderful,” Robben said. “The problem with spring break is the conditioning. It’s an eleven to twelve day gap, and they picked it up quickly.”

The Tigers look forth to the coming season and their difficult schedule believing that their highly defensive and possessive style will help them move forward.

“It’s a system designed for creativity to allow them to play their way despite the emphasis on defense,” Robben said. “They buy into our system and buy into our playing style, and it’s all about the kids who sacrifice so much for the team.”

The team’s next game is home against Seckman March 29 at home. The Tigers will also play rival Mehlville this Saturday, March 30 against whom they would further like to assess their playing style.