Girls Softball Runs out to impressive start

The OHS girls varsity softball team started off strong with three wins and a tournament championship in their first week of play last week.

The Tigers played in the Summit Tournament last Wednesday through Friday (even though all three games were played at OHS). Wednesday the girls started the season off with a bang defeating  Westminster 15-0.

“I was happy with the way we came out and played and put forth good effort,” said head coach Rich Sturm.

The following day the girls defeated Kirkwood 11-2 in the tournament semifinals and advanced to play Lindbergh in the championship game. In the championship game, OHS was tied with the Flyers 1-1 in the fourth inning. The girls went on to score 12 unanswered runs to defeat Lindbergh and win the tournament title.

During the tournament the girls outscored their opponents 39-3. Jordan Michalski (10) pitched in the win on Thursday and Alex Frenz (10) recorded two wins on Wednesday and Friday.

“We played great in all three phases of the game and had good results,” Sturm said.

This week the girls look to continue their success in the preseason conference tournament that starts Tuesday Aug. 28.