OHS soccer season begins to up and down start

Coming off one of the most successful seasons in OHS Soccer history, the OHS soccer team has high expectations for a season that has had an up and down start. Through eight games the boys are 3-4-1.

Oakville started this season tying O’Fallon 2-2 in their season opener. That was followed by a tough 4-2 loss to Chaminade — rated as one of the top five teams in the country — in the Tigers home opener.

“We played Chaminade hard and we had them within a one goal game and they ended up scoring with little time left , but overall it was a good battle and they are a good skilled team that was a good test for us early,” said forward Jake Dodge (11).

The Tigers fared well in the St. Dominic Super Cup Tournament defeating Holt and Fort Zumwalt East. However, they suffered a tough loss in the championship game to host and number one ranked (in area small schools) St. Dominic in penalty kicks.

Last week the Tigers started out strong defeating Lindbergh 2-1 on Tuesday. On Thursday Lafayette defeated the Tigers 1-0 and Saturday the boys lost to Vianney 2-0.

This season Jake Allen (12) and Troy Korte (12) have shared time between the pipes, with Korte getting a majority of the time. The team’s leading goal scorers are Dodge and Mike Munsell (12) with four goals. Messy Dedic (12) leads the team in assists with five.

The Tigers begin play in the always exciting CYC Tournament at Soccer Park tonight Sept. 17 at 4:15pm against Kirkwood.

As for the expectations for the tournament Dodge said that “For the CYC tournament we look to come out strong and get the first win and we look to play our game.”