Tigers gain second consecutive win against conference rivials Mehlville

The Tigers continued their first winning streak of the season Friday night (Oct. 5) at Mehlville, where they scored in the first minute of the game and ran away with a 38-6 victory for their second straight win.

The Tigers pushed the pace right from the start. In the first 15 seconds, quarterback Andy Oliver made a 55 yard pass to wide receiver Avion Stevenson and scored a touchdown. With eight minutes left in the first quarter, Oliver made another  29 yard pass to Stevenson who scored his second touchdown.

“I feel like I helped set the tempo for the game,” said Stevenson, “and we really uploaded the momentum.”

At the end of the first quarter, Mehlville’s Michael Mik made a 90 yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the first quarter to cut Oakville’s early lead to 14-6. Mehlville’s break did not last long. Tailback Morris LaGrand’s first touchdown run gave the Tigers a 21-6 lead at half-time. Derrick Brown and LaGrand each ran for touchdowns in the third quarter that put the Tigers well in the lead.

The effort of LaGrand and the Tigers shined tonight as they made strong offensive and defensive plays.

“Moe has been running up and down this field the whole year,” said coach Arlee Conners, “he is the heart and soul of this team.”

After having a rough start to the beginning of their season, their winning streak has given the team a much needed boost in their confidence and their effort.

“Our goal for the whole year is to keep getting better. You have got to tell them to keep doing things right and then good things will happen.” said Conners.

The Tigers hope to continue their winning streak as they play Northwest next Friday at 7 pm at home.