Tigers continue their winning streak with a win against the Northwest Lions

Quarterback Andy Oliver (11) helped his team get off to a fast start Friday night (Oct. 12) at Rodger Estes Stadium as Oakville won its third game in a row, a 42-8 victory over the visiting Northwest Lions.

Although Oliver is usually known for his passing, tonight he ran for three touchdowns in the first half as the Tigers jumped out to a 27-8 halftime lead. “Coach kept calling [the plays] and the offense made holes, so I ran for them,” Oliver said.

Oliver scored the first touchdown, a 12-yard run with 8 minutes, 54 seconds left in the first quarter. At the end of the second quarter, the Lions scored a touchdown and made a conversion bringing the score to 21-8. His second was at the end of the first quarter and third running touchdown was 55 yards with 3:02 left in the second quarter.
Coach Arlee Conners had Oliver run for the touchdowns because “Andy is a good athlete and you gotta take advantage of his abilities,” he said.

Recent wins for the Tigers over Fox and Mehlville have boosted the overall confidence of the team and have helped them work better together. Conners said that the Tigers “are starting to execute a lot better.”

The Tigers, now 4-4 overall, will play Saint Louis University High next week at home. If they win, they should play their first district game at home the following week (Oct. 26).

“These wins will carry over to next week and will help our confidence and execution,” Conners said.

Kickoff next Friday is 7 pm at Rodger Estes Stadium.