Tough play in a tough loss

OHS varsity football knew that if they wanted to win Friday (Oct. 19) against  St. Louis University High School they would need to shut down Raymond Wingo. Unfortunatley he scored all seven of the Billikins touchdowns in the 48-31 loss.

The Tigers came out strong in the first half. They didn’t let up an offensive touchdown to the Billikins and were winning 25-21 going into halftime.

Morris LaGrand (12) scored twice and Quarterback Andy Oliver (11) scored once in the first half. “We made a few mistakes on offense,” Jimmy Broderick (12) said. “Wingo got two picks and it killed us.” Wingo scored on an interception, kickoff return, and a rush from scrimmage.

LaGrand left the game with an ankle injury early in the third quarter which had a big impact on the loss. “I wish I could have played to help the team,” LaGrand said, “But even if i would’ve stayed in I’m just one guy, and its a team effort.”

In the second half Oliver connected with Arsante Conners (10)  for a 25 yard touchdown pass. Wingo scored four more times in the in the second half to give SLUH all 48 of their points.

“We knew he was fast,” Derrick Brown (12) said. “We played hard, but they out worked us.”

“We wanted to stop him, but he got behind us,” Coach Arlee Conners said. “He’s a special kid, and we didn’t keep him under control.”

The Tigers will play the first game of the district playoffs next Friday Oct. 26