OHS track athletes advance to state

OHS track athletes advance to state

Both the boys and girls track teams went to the Sectionals competition with many hopeful teams and individuals vying for a spot at state. Sectionals were held on Saturday, May 18, at MICDS and OHS fared well, with many athletes now advancing to the state competition.

In order to qualify for MSHSAA State, athletes must place in the top four at the District meet and then move on and place in the top four at the Sectional meet. Going into Sectionals, OHS had athletes entered in 11 events, and these were the results:

Aaryana Cook (12) placed seventh in the long jump.

The boys 4×8 team, consisting of JR Frisella (11), Jonas Verle (12), Elvir Sarijlic (11) and Brandon Meyr (11), did not finish (DNF).

In the 100 meter dash and 200 meter dash, Ne’Kole Harvey (12) placed second (by a thousandth of a second) and third in the 200 meter, advancing to State. Blessing Oparaji (11) placed fifth in the 100 meter and 200 meter.

The girls 4×2 relay and 4×1 relay, consisting of Cook, Harvey, Oparaji and Favor Oparaji (9) placed second in the 4×2 and first in the 4×1, both relays advancing to State.

Melissa Brown (11) placed sixth in the mile (1600 meter) and seventh in the two mile (3200 meter).

Elvir Sarajlic placed third in the mile (1600m) with a time of 4:18, qualifying him for state, but did not finish the two mile (3200 meter) race.

Frisella placed second in the 400 meter dash, advancing to state.

The girls track team placed fifth overall at the meet out of 23 schools, and the boys team finished eighteenth out of 21 teams.

Overall, OHS has three individual athletes and two relay teams advancing to the state meet in Jefferson City, which will be held Friday, May 24, and Saturday, May 25.