Academic Quiz Bowl

Christina Carter arrived at OHS last year as a new English teacher but was surprised to find that OHS did not have a quiz bowl team. She decided to start one herself.

Carter participated in Academic Quiz Bowl throughout high school and college.

“I’m kind of competitive. And by kind of, I mean a lot,” Carter said.

She had such a passion for quiz bowl that she asked to start one. OHS agreed to support a quiz bowl with Coach Carter as the driving force.

Last year, in their first year of existence, they won several awards and trophies and plan to do even better this year.

“It’s a big part of her and is probably one of her favorite things to do, I bet she even thinks about it all the time too.” says Tim Cliffe (11).

The Academic Quiz Bowl is a trivia competition in which the team competes against other area high schools. The roster includes Andrew Ludwig (9), Brandon Daake (11), Micheal Menkhus (9), Ryan Moyie (12), and returning members Justin Bayer (12), Clarisse Caliman (11), Tim Cliffe (11), Lacy Dreppard (12), and Mark Richter (12).

Academic Quiz Bowl is a Missouri State High School Activities Association sanctioned activity, so the requirements are the same as any other MSHSAA activity, such as football or basketball.

Carter usually prepares the team at practice where they go through questions that might be asked. The quiz bowl players meet in room 217 every Monday and Thursday for practice.

The team’s next competition is on Oct. 16 at the University of Missouri.

View Comments (1)