Academic Quiz Bowl qualifies for Nationals

The Academic Quiz Bowl team competed at St. Louis University’s academic quiz bowl competition and placed first out of twelve teams on Saturday, Nov. 6.

Winning this tournament was not the easiest thing at all. The team even had to go into double overtime to defeat Villa Duchesne and Quiz Bowl coach Christina Carter mentioned the that the last game was extremely close.

Because of this big win, OHS Academic Quiz Bowl team has qualified for National Academic Quiz Tournament Nationals. Although this is only the second year of the team’s existence, they beat schools such as Clayton, Ladue, Villa Duchesne, Rockwood, Eureka and Parkway in this tournament.

“This sort of accomplishment is unheard of,” Carter said. “I am very proud of what the Academic Quiz Bowl team has accomplished, and I am really excited to see how they compete at Nationals.”

Nationals will be located in Atlanta, GA, during Memorial Day weekend.

The team took home a shiny plaque and each player received an individual award. The winning team consisted of Mark Richter (12), Justin Bayer (12), Brandon Daake (11), Tim Cliffe (11) and Mike Menkhus (9).

Since the Academic Quiz Bowl made this very successful win, OHS has decided to hold its own quiz bowl on March 26. The money raised will go towards fees for the National Tournament. They are looking for volunteers to read questions during the quiz bowl as well.

“I think that our success speaks volumes about the quality of education that the Mehlville School District provides to its students,” Carter said.