Speech and debate national qualifying districts

This past weekend, the OHS speech and debate team went to Clayton and Pattonville High Schools for a three day national qualifying tournament sponsored by the Eastern Missouri District of the National Forensics League.

Although no OHS students qualified for Nationals, some did receive honors. Michael Menkhus (11) was awarded with first alternate and 5th place in Extemporaneous Speaking. If one of the qualifiers is unable to attend Nationals, Menkhus will have the opportunity to step in. He was also second alternate and 7th place in Senate.

Ellie Sona made second alternate and 5th place in Congress.

“ It was disappointing [the tournament] but, the team was freshman, sophomores and juniors. We have high hopes for next year,” Ed Taylor, speech and debate coach, said.

Competing in Policy was Sean Kleffner (11), Katie Kohler (11), Emma Sona (10), and Sydney Montague (11).

Competing in Public Forum was Aron Johannsson (11), Olivia Weigl (11), Michael Menkus (11), Andrew Ludwig (11), Adam Diehl (11), Tyler Bradenberg (11), Abby Menkhus (9) and Alfons Weigl (9).

Competing in Lincoln Douglas was Ellie Sona (10), Vince Marinaro (10),Jenny Keeton (11), and Mollie Kohler (9).

In Oratory was Keeton, Ludwig, and Montague.

competing in Duo was Ellie Sona and Mollie Kohler as one team and Johannsson and Olivia weigl as another.

Competing in International Extemporaneous was Marinaro and co*-mpeting in Domestic Extemporaneous was Michael Menkhus.

Competing in Humorous Interpretation was Kleffner.