Seniors taste sweet victory in annual Powder Puff game

The Kings of Candy triumphed over the Lords of Licorice in the Powder-puff football game on Thursday afternoon (Sept. 8 ) when the senior team defeated the juniors 30-18.

The orange-clad seniors began the game by scoring three touchdowns in the first half with their twelve plays. Ashley Burton (12) scored three out of the five touchdowns for her team. Gabby Korte (11) scored the one touchdown the juniors made in the first half.

At half time the senior and junior Golden Guys went head to head with their carefully crafted dance routines. Though both groups put on crowd-pleasing performances, the senior boys were deemed the winners. “Our dance was more organized [and had] more humorous stuff,” said Brian Schwartz (12). “We started with something slow and ended with a bang.”

During the second half of the game the juniors tied the seniors during their possession of the ball. Touchdowns by Korte and Ne’kole Harvey (11) brought the score 18-18. It was not until the seniors gained control of the ball for the final twelve plays that they broke past the juniors’ defense and scored two more touchdowns to take the win.

“It’s great to finally win the Powder-puff and just show the juniors that we’re better than them,” said Burton.

However, the loss did not crush underclass spirit. “Juniors all the way,” said Leo Carroll (11).

Admission proceeds from the game went to students in need from Joplin High School.

View Comments (2)